Thursday, April 7, 2011

Journaling

I am in the process of making my first blog book - it has been SO fun to go back and look at old posts and pictures.  But most of all, to read all the journaling.  It makes me realize that I haven't done ANY journaling in a long time.  Poor Lexie and Kolten.  So this is really for my kids to read in a future book - feel free to skip it! Well, there's no time like the present!  Here we go!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kolten

Our sweet little Kolten - he is SUCH a great baby.  He brings so much joy to our family - he is always grinning and smiling and just so happy to see everyone!  His various nicknames are: Koley Kole, Koley Bear, Lovey, and just Koley.  He is 8 months old this week and is growing way too fast.  His hair is still as red as ever (especially in the sun) and we always get comments on it, just like we did with Lex.  He is sleeping very well - usually from 8pm to 7am.  That has been in the last couple weeks, since he has started on formula that he is sleeping a little better.  He is just about done nursing - and is fine either way.  As long as it's food, he'll take it.  He eats baby food 3 times a day - and loves any of it: peas, green beans, carrots, squash, applesauce, bananas, etc.  He has about 4 or 5 bottles a day and drinks them in about 3minutes!  His typical schedule is: wake up about 7, eat breakfast, play, nap from 9 to 11 or 12, eat lunch, play, nap for another 2-3 hours, bottle, eat dinner, play, go to bed.  I want to be on the Kolten schedule!

When he is awake he is perfectly content to sit on the floor and play.  Or he will roll and scoot all over to get to what he wants - he loves playing with the pkg of wipes!.  He also loves the saucer and the Johnny Jumper thing that hangs from the door frame - he goes crazy in that thing!  I love this stage where they can sit and play, but are not mobile yet!  Let's see, what else is he doing? He clapped for the first time a couple days ago - it is so cute!  He is so proud of himself when he does it!  He also leans in and gives me kisses if I make the kissing noise.  He is starting to act shy and hide his face in my shoulder.  He does this often when he's sees Dad coming.....he knows a lot of tickling is about to follow! :)

We sure love you Kolten - you are my little ray of sunshine.  We frequently have people comment on how happy, calm, and content you are!  With you being number 4, things can definitely get hectic.  I am thankful every single day that you are so happy and patient!  We love you Koley!
----------------------------------------------------
Lexie

When I think about Lexie the first things that come to mind are spunky, sassy, fun-loving, and loud!  Seriously, that girl has two volumes - loud and louder.  We were just in a store a couple days ago and I say, "Why are you yelling?  I'm right here!"  A lady behind us laughed.  I am saying this to Lexie quite frequently.

Lexie just turned 3 about a month ago and seems to have really grown up the past few months!  She has always loved, LOVED her binky - but the week before Christmas we couldn't find one.  I was fed up with searching for them - so I said no more!  It was a rough couple days and nights, but it didn't last long.  And then 3 days later Lexie walks up to me and says, "Mom, will you teach me how to go potty?  Cause I'm a big girl now."  I just about fell over.  So we started potty training right then and there!  We had a week or so of accidents, but it was a pretty easy process!  Good job Lex!

Lexie is always saying things that make me laugh.  I wish I was better at jotting them down.  One of her favorite phrases right now is "Seriously!"  She will say something like, "Mom, there's a bird on the porch!!!"  and I say "Wow.  Cool."  And she always follows with, "No, Seriously!  I'm Serious!"  It's pretty funny.

She also loves the art of persuasion.  When she asks for something and I say no, she replies, "But MO-OM! I wear panties!"  With a tone of DUH!  Meaning she is a big girl and wears panties - so I guess she gets to do whatever she wants, right?

Lexie spends most of her days following Bailey around and doing whatever she is doing.  She loves playing outside and jumping on the trampoline.  She also LOVES to be in the kitchen with mom.  Every time I am in there she is begging to sit on the counter and help.  She also loves nursery and loves going to play with Max.  The other day we were in the car and out of the blue she says, "Max and Orrin are my BEST FRIENDS! I love them."  It was so cute!  She also says a lot of things like "Mom, I so cited to do (whatever it is)!!"  or "Mom, I LOVE to do this!  Thank you mama!"  Like when I let them eat at McDonalds or something.  Speaking of eating - that girl loves to eat.  Almost every night at dinner she takes a bite and says "Mmmmmmm".  Takes a bite, "Mmmmmmm" Over and over again.  She is a veggie and fruit lover.  I often have to tell her - "No more broccoli/corn/green beans, til you eat your chicken."  Crazy.

Hard to believe, but Lexie is not always sweet and angelic - she can be NAUGHTY!  She loves to color on walls, furniture, floors.  You name it - she would love to color on it!  She also loves to dump out soap, play in the sink, find pieces of paper and cut them into 800 pieces, or smear chapstick all over the wall.  These are just some of her latest and greatest projects!  I sure hope she grows out of this phase soon!

Lex - we sure love you and are glad you are part of our family.  You bring a lot of love and fun into our home!
------------------------------------------
Bailey

I can't believe Bailey is already 5 and going to be starting Kindergarten in just a few months!  Bailey is such a little mom by nature.  She is always taking care of Kolten - she changes diapers, feeds him baby food, feeds him a bottle, and plays with him all day long.  If we hear one peep from Kol, she is the first one to jump up and get him a binky or toy or blanket.  She hates when he goes down for a nap and begs to go get him at the first noise he makes.  She HATES when he cries, it is like torture to her.  Bailey really is just very nurturing.  She loves to play with him and make him happy.  And she gets so excited by all his little milestones!  Every time he does something new, she is so thrilled and has to tell everyone!

Bailey still loves to dress up. She picks out her clothes every morning and is VERY particular about what looks good and what doesn't.  She wears her "high heels" (sunday shoes with a little wedge) with everything - jeans, skirts, dresses, etc.  She always has her hair brushed and has a bow in her hair - and begs to wear my makeup and jewelry.

If Bailey is not helping take care of Kolten - then she is usually sneaking into something!  Man, that girl is SO SNEAKY!  She sneaks into snacks, treats, my jewelry, my makeup.  She sneaks out front to go ride her bike...alone!  She sneaks into the garage to play in the car.  She is so sneaky.  And I am at a total loss as to how to fix the problem!

Bailey is very smart - I can't wait for her to start school and start learning so many new things.  She writes her name very well, along with everyone else's name in the family.  She loves to color and draw pictures.  She loves to look through books and is just starting to sound out and recognize some words.  I can't wait for her to start reading.

Bai - you are getting so big and we are so glad to have you!
---------------------------------------------
Kaden

Kaden is almost done with first grade and continues to do really well.  School work is very easy for him and his teacher does a good job at trying to keep him challenged.  They break into reading groups every morning and he goes up to second grade for reading.  Overall he seems to enjoy school, although this year has been a little harder without having a good friend with him in his class.  He rides his bike to and from school every day.  I was nervous to let him do this, but Matt reminded me we can't hold onto them forever!  And Kaden seems to enjoy and appreciate the little bit of freedom and responsibility.

Kaden's reading has really taken off this year!  He LOVES to read!  His favorites right now are the Harry Potter books.  He has read the first 4 and is re-reading some of them.  He also liked the Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.  But he blew through that one in a couple days.  Now we have started him on the Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites - so we'll see how he likes those.

I am Kaden's primary teacher this year and I am always so impressed with how much he knows.  He remembers details of so many scripture stories - and he knows things I don't think I even knew!  I'm always very proud of him.

Kaden continues to have some struggles and can sometimes be a challenging child.  But I always have the hope that things will get better.  It was good to listen to General Conference last week and to be reminded that children are sent to us to teach us patience, understanding, and to help refine us so we can become more God-like.  This was such a good reminder to me.  I know Kaden was sent to us for a reason and he teaches us probably more than we teach him!

We love you bubba - and are so proud of the young man you are becoming!

No comments: