June 21, 1983- October 25, 2008
Today we laid to rest a true hero, my friend Shane Figueroa. I first met Shane when we both worked at the local Wells Fargo together. The only way to get through those long boring "desk job" shifts was to talk about how much better life would be after we became police officers. I always looked up to Shane at work. He knew who he was and carried himself with a humble quiet dignity. We slaved away as tellers together for a short while and I soon entered the police academy, while Shane moved to Mesa. Even though I knew him for a short time, I never forgot the example he showed me as a true latter day saint living the gospel.
I only spoke with Shane on a few short occasions after he became a police officer with the Phoenix Police Department. His father, Cory, would proudly keep me posted of his accomplishments. I can only imagine the honor and integrity with which he fulfilled his duties as a police officer for the citizens of Phoenix.
In the early morning hours of last saturday I received a call that Shane had been killed in the line of duty while responding to a "shots fired" call.
Shane, I am a better person because of you, and the world a better place. You are a true hero and an inspiration to us all. Rest in peace my brother.
Below are some pictures taken during the funeral procession today.
This man stopped on the side of the freeway and stood at attention as the mile long procession drove by.
Flag over entrance to cemetary

Another thankful citizen
There were police vehicles as far as the eye could see in both directions.
View from the rear view mirror
Funeral procession"He Answered The Call"
Today in the sun, I bid him farewell A man, a hero, I never knew well
Like many before him, who answered the call Wearing a badge, he was destined to fall
Though by choice a long life and a happy old age Would he have chosen, had he written the page
But the office he chose never promised long life Just half of his salary, for his child and his wife
He went without fear, into the darkness of night Bringing comfort to some, to some others light
Easing their pain and calming their fears He did his duty, never asking for cheers
A husband, a cop, he answered the call We bid him farewell for he gave his all
by
DKB

1 comment:
Jim told me about this the other day. Obviously I didn't know him as well as you did, but it's still hard to even process sometimes.
Your kids look great in their costumes by the way :)
Post a Comment