Sunday, October 12, 2008

Pima Air and Space Museum

Kaden has been home from school this week for fall break and we decided to take advantage of that and took a little trip to the pima air and space museum. We had a good time - despite our kids. Bailey was a nightmare - many meltdowns, fit, screaming, etc. In her defense, she didn't feel all that great - but she was really on one. We had a pretty good time anyway. I don't know much about planes - whereas Matt could tell me the name of most of the planes there. I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Here are some of the highlights:

My favorite thing there was a whole hangar dedicated to the 390th which was a huge group of flight teams and bombers based in England during WWII. I am not a history buff and usually don't remember as much as I should, but this was so interesting. They had excerpts from some of the men's journals that were captured and held in POW camps. It made all of it so real and brought tears to my eyes. Here are pictures of of the B-17 bombers that were flown - this also was meaningful to us because Matt's grandpa flew a B-17 in the South Pacific during WWII.


The first flag flown on Utah beach on D-Day


Another highlight of the museum was walking through Air Force One that was the presidential airplane for Johnson and JFK.



Here is a picture of a HUEY which was cool to see and Matt told us stories of his dad flying in one of these during Vietnam. Once again - just makes you appreciate all the military and all that they do for us, especially during times of war.


Here are more pics from the museum - most are self explanatory.







Kaden and Bailey "on Mars"





2 comments:

Mindy said...

Looks like you guys had fun! =)

Jennie Gee said...

That looks like a lot of fun. I didn't even know that was around.