Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy 4th of July

Just a few quick highlights from our 4th of July:


Red, white, and blue pancakes for breakfast


Dressed for the day

Kaden proudly displaying his patriotic hat and his sparkly starYou can't really tell, but the star is 2 stars slid together to make a 3-D star. After we colored and glittered these stars, we were putting them together and I was telling Kaden "We will slide two stars together and attach a string at the top to use as decoration." He says "Ohhhhhh, like a dance party! I get it!" Where did that come from? Apparently we have had too many dance parties with a disco ball :) . (How does he even know what that is?)
We had a pretty relaxed day - spent most of it at home (Matt works all night so he had to sleep all day). That afternoon we went over to one of his co-workers house. The kids and I hadn't ever met him or his family - but it turned out to be really fun. The kids all got along and everyone had fun - swimming and eating. We didn't stay too long because Matt had to get to work. I had promised the kids that we would watch fireworks, so after Matt went to work we drove down near the park and just parked on the side of the road. I guess lots of other people had the same idea because the street was lined with cars. It worked out good, I didn't have to fight crowds or traffic, and Lexie just stayed asleep in the car. The fireworks show started a little late, but it was pretty good. Kaden only comment was "Amazing" at every single one! All in all it was a pretty fun day.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried a new recipe for cookies to take to our barbeque. They turned out so good (and are super easy) I thought I would share:
Homade Oreos
2 Devil's Food cake mixes
1 1/2 C. shortening
4 eggs
Mix together. Roll in walnut size balls. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Let cool.
8 oz. cream cheese
1/2 stick butter
3 - 4 C. powdered sugar
Mix filling. Frost backs of cookies to make sandwiches.



Super easy and super yummy!

5 comments:

Heather A said...

Cute Kids! Fun to hear about your holiday. I have enjoyed re-getting to know you through your blog. Hopefully we can get together sometime soon. The kids and I are coming down for a family camping trip at the end of July, beginning of August.

We used to make those oreos sometimes. They really are great. I remember when we were in Primary we were supposed to learn the Articles of Faith. When we could say them to our teacher, we would get a coupon for a cookie and we could go to a member of the Primary Presidency's house and get a cookie. We knew a certain one usually had homemade oreos and we loved to go there. Super Yummy!

Heather A said...

I just read your comment on my blog and I would like to say you are invited to come visit us while we're in Washington anytime! We'd love to have you if you feel like it. Just wait til we get a house! :)

Stacey Mowers and Family said...

Hey! You probably don't remember me, your kids are so cute. Your little girl is so perfect!! I love to look at your blog, your so good at it! I tried once and it was way to much work for me.
Your sound like you are such a great mom! It's crazy to see how many kids everyone has that we graduated with. I have four myself, 3 girls 1 boy ages 7 down to 2 years. Anyways love your blog.
Stacey Mowers (Welker)

Mary Ann said...

i LOVE those oreos.. they are my favorite! you are the coolest mom. those pancakes are too cute!. it was so fun to see you the other day! your baby is adorable!

Jenny said...

I love those homemade oreos, your so good I just use good old canned frosting...